What a student learns from a course depends greatly on the available curriculum. It is also highly dependent on the Designed for educators who want to strengthen student achievement through a strong curriculum, this course provides the opportunity to incorporate authentic travel experience and learnings into the classroom to build a fuller, more enriched curriculum that will increase student achievement. In this course, you will develop activities and materials based on experiential knowledge gained from your very own travels. Once you have developed materials to enrich your curriculum, you will implement them in your classroom. To earn credit, simply create a slide presentation demonstrating the professional outcomes of your travel experience and submit it, along with your travel journal and a write-up describing either the professional application of the materials or how they were used in the classroom, for evaluation.
Integrate your travel study experiences into your educational setting. Opportunities are available across all teaching grade levels, disciplines, and subjects or topics. Designed for busy teachers like you, you will get up to 6 months to complete your coursework requirements, and extensions are always granted upon request.
Overview of Requirements
1. Define your travel objective(s): When registering for this course option, you will be required to provide a short description of your travel objectives, and how you plan to create and implement your learning experiences into your program. You may also utilize previous travel experiences for this course option as long as the materials developed are relevant to your curriculum or programs.
2. Create a Travel Journal with times, academic points of interest, and activities relating to your travel experiences and objectives. Your travel journal will document the effort and time that you dedicate to the process of completing your coursework requirements and learning objectives.
Whether you spend time brainstorming, researching, reading, typing, writing, watching educational videos and films for ideas, constructing visuals, putting together new Powerpoint Presentations or rubrics, you are able to document all the professional time you have invested amplifying and enriching your professional needs.
3. Develop a 25-30 slide PowerPoint or Google presentation (per credit) to demonstrate the professional outcomes of your travel experience, and implement what you have learned directly into the learning process of your students.
1 credit = 30 Slides
2 credits = 60 Slides
3 credits = 90 Slides
4. Complete a 1-2 page write-up: A minimum one to two page write-up describing utilization and/or professional application of material developed.
*Additional course guidelines, formatting requirements, and information will be provided upon course enrollment.
Completed courses are letter graded and will appear on an official transcript from University of the Pacific, Benerd College. An Official Transcript with your final course grade(s) is available from Pacific upon successful completion of coursework. The course ending date that will appear on your transcript will reflect the date on which your completed coursework was reviewed and graded.
Teacher Friendly Course
About University of the Pacific
University of the Pacific, established in 1851, is California’s oldest private chartered university and is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The credits offered are post-baccalaureate, graded, graduate-level semester units of credit, provided directly through University of the Pacific, Benerd College. They are specifically designed to meet the needs of educators for Salary Advancement and Recertification. The credits/units are acceptable where local districts approve and applicable to state licensing where authorized. We always encourage you to check with your employer for acceptability of these credits/units. Course participants are responsible to determine acceptability of these credits for their intended use. Each graduate-level semester credit is equivalent to 15 hours of academic involvement.
Upon successful mastery of this course, you will be able to:
- Explore your curriculum for opportunities to insert learning activities based on your travel experiences.
- Select areas of the curriculum to enhance with teacher-developed activities and materials, based on your travel experiences, that make connections with the curriculum to “bring it alive.”
- Analyze the selected areas to identify specific learning objectives to support/enhance with information, materials, or activities from your travel experiences.
- Develop materials or activities, based on your travel experiences, that support, scaffold, or enhance the mastery of selected learning objectives to increase student achievement.
- Integrate the teacher-developed materials and/or activities into your lesson plans.
- Engage students meaningfully in the curriculum through the implementation of travel-experience-based teacher-developed materials and activities that will strengthen their academic achievement.
- Create a 25-30 slide PowerPoint or Google Slides presentation to demonstrate the professional outcomes of your travel experiences.
- Reflect on the effectiveness of the travel-based materials and/or activities you developed in strengthening your curriculum and your students’ academic growth.
- Evaluate the professional development experiences, specific to your future growth.